Heading to San Francisco

In a little less than a month, Rob and I are headed to San Francisco for a week. He's going to the Audio Engineering Society convention, and I'm tagging along to some events, as well as hanging around solo.

I'm looking forward to exploring a city I've never been to before by myself, even though it's kind of intimidating, too. I won't know the subway system, or fun areas to shop or people watch like I do in New York. I don't even know if you can get a taxi! And will the taxis be safer feeling in San Francisco than they are in Manhattan? (I'm absolutely terrified to take a cab in New York)?

I'm compiling a base of interesting websites to check out. If you have any to add, let me know.

Cityguide: San Francisco
Avenue G
The food is supposed to be amazing, but nothing on the menu "got my goat". The dessert section sounds incredible, but then, desserts ALWAYS sound incredible to me.