I'm Sitting on At Least 30 Bucks

Many people today have Starbucks cards that they pay with. In fact, this method of paying SURPASSES cash by a large margin. Everyday a few people come in with cards that have a balance lower than what they owe for their order, so the card will be emptied. Sometimes they will refil the card right there, and sometimes they'll just say "Chuck it!"

I've been "chucking them" into my pocket, and have ammassed quite the collection. Every once in a while I'll come across an unusual one. There is at least one customer that is a regular who knows I hang onto them and saves them for me (she gets them from her credit card company as rewards) and several of the other folks I work with save them for me.

About a week ago, someone came in with an emptied out card that was limited edition from 2002. It was only available around Independence Day, and only for that year. I checked it out on eBay. As I'm writing, the bidding is up to $30, and this is for a zero-balance card! I have a genuine collectors item! Check it out.

I briefly considered selling it, but I don't know if it would be legal. I have to call the company first. You'd think I'd keep quiet about it, but I've heard stories about folks getting in trouble for the oddest situations when it comes to Starbucks, and I don't want to join them. And maybe I'll hang onto it anyway... it IS kind of cool.