Caramel Corn Makes Everything Better

Getting home yesterday was a nightmare. I was coming around the super-curvy connecting ramp between I-95 and the 25/8 connector and got stuck. First traffic was STOPPED because people WHO DON’T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW were getting stuck. I watched them with distain as I drove by them, confident in my snow driving ability. Suddenly, “ert!” goes the Cavity, and I joined them. So much for being elitist.

The snow/sleet/gross winteriness was collecting faster and faster, and I spent an hour trying to extricate myself, saying bad words, revving my engine and making squealy noises with my car. Finally I was like “Dear God, please help me get out of this”, and five minutes later, I did. I slid all the way up the connector, which was wicked scary. Then, about half a mile from my exit, I slid SIDEWAYS across all four lanes to the right, and then left, and then right and then left again (which was actually kind of fun being that other cars weren’t coming, and you’d think I wouldn’t go “weeee!” but I swear, I totally did). The Cavity hopped up over the curb, (I hit my fingers really hard on the steering wheel and they still hurt) and I was done. I was IN the snow so deep I wasn’t moving at all. “No, no, God.” I said. “This isn’t exactly what I meant…”

I called AAA who told me they’d be there in an hour and a half, so I made myself comfortable in the backseat reading. Someone pulled up next to my car and I see some red head running toward me; it was Danielle! She used sell Mary Kay with me back in the day.

When I went to get my car the next day, it was gone. The police had it towed, which was dick of them if you ask me, because it was off the road, but whatever. I got gram to drive me down to where it was in Bridgeport, and the woman goes, “Are you sure it’ll run?”

“Sure!” I said.

She goes, “well, it was all smashed…”

I assured her it was fine. $190 later I had my car back. (Extortion I say!)

Meanwhile, I found a recipe on a message board for caramel popcorn and it’s AWESOME. Try it!

Caramel Corn (Microwave)

Pop 3/4 cup popcorn (4 qts popped) and place in large paper bag (grocery bag).

Caramel:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 corn syrup
1 stick margarine
1/2 tsp salt

Combine caramel ingredients in a 2 qt microwave bowl and cook, uncovered, on HIGH in a microwave for 5 minutes. Remove and stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda. Pour over popcorn in sack. Stir well. Roll top of sack closed. Place in microwave for 45 seconds on HIGH. Do this 4 times. Shake and rotate sack each time, then open sack and let cool. Add peanuts if you wish.

Note: If your microwave is SUPER high powered like mine, you'll need to cut back the cooking time. I cook the caramel ingredients for 4 min. 30 seconds, and only keep the "popcorn in a bag mixture" in the microwave for 30-second increments.