Asia and Howard


Growing up in what I understatedly describe as a pseudo-religious, overbearing household, one of the things I missed out on was Halloween, also referred to as "The Devil's holiday on which cats and small children are sacrificed to the pagan gods rendering it evil to even contemplate celebrating". Tonight, therefore, was my very first experience carving a pumpkin into a jack-o'-lantern, courtesy of Jen (she also came out with me during my first experience trick-or-treating...when I was 17). We used her living room as a work space while we watched "So I Married an Ax Murderer". After about an hour or so, we had Howard, who I think looks like the big happy guy at a party telling jokes. I created Asia, who looks like she's about four, and is diminutive and quiet. Maybe Howard is her uncle?

We went to the Huntington Street Cafe afterwards, and we were the only people listening to Brian Kingston play his guitar and piano set (besides his girlfriend). He has an incredible voice and you can tell he really loves his music. There were only a few people in the cafe, and since we were the only folks paying attention, we clapped and cheered for every song. He appreciated the small but enthusiastic audience that we created, and he totally thrilled us (and made us "swoon") with his acoustic version of "The Scientist" by Coldplay. I signed up for his mailing list and told him I'd check him out again when he played in the area. 'Twas an excellent Sunday.