Birds and Rock Concerts

Still on a mad quest for a job. If you know of any dentists who need a kick-ass assistant, lemme know.

I'm still dehydrated. That's still not exciting.

I went to a concert the other night (Finger Eleven!), and it was interesting; I'd never gone to a concert alone before. It was nice to be around strangers that knew all the words to the songs of your favorite band, and it was cool to "rock out" without worrying about looking goofy next to your stoic friends (the trick is to stand next to people who are rocking out even harder than you are, then you look sane by comparison).

My most signifigant event of the week is finding a mourning dove in the middle of the road almost directly in front of my house. It's wing was really badly broken so I stopped the car and put my hazard lights on. Luckily, I had a cardboard box in my car. I was standing there trying to figure out how to get the dove into the box without actually touching it (germs, you know, and I was worried about being pecked) when a guy comes up behind me. He was really sweet and he put the dove in the box for me, and then put the box in my car. I brought it home and, after Googleing around for a bit, I found the number of someone who is part of a network of volunteers authorized by the state to care for injured birds. She gave me the number of someone even closer (her name is Joyce, from Monroe).

I called Joyce who said to come right over, so I went to get the dove. She was so scared when she saw me comming that she hopped out of the box and on to the floor with a horrible 'thud'. That upset me more than anything. I was chasing it around trying to catch her gently and she was very badly frightened. It was really upsetting, because I was worried that she would hurt herself more, and she kept bleeding. I felt so horrible. I finally got her in the box, wrapped in a towel to keep her safe and went in seach of Joyce. I wasn't entirely sure of my directions, though, so I came home again (which seemed like it took forever, but really it was only a few minutes) and actually printed out mapquest directions. It's a good thing I did, because I'd have been really lost without them, even though she lives close by.

Joyce is very soft spoken. She's British, and ownes two Corgies, which are friendly dogs with long bodies, short legs and happy faces. Anyone who ownes a Corgie is bound to be a good person. (Pretty much, anyhow.) We went into her parlor and I filled out an information slip. She took one look and said in a very soft, British accent-y voice "Oh dear, this doesn't look good at all". Not what I wanted to hear. She didn't tell me, actually, that the bird would have to be put to sleep (I think she must have seen how distraught I was already), but her eyes did.

Not a good turn of events. If you see a bird injured, please do what you can for it. You can call the wildlife division at (860) 424-3011 Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30 or (860) 424-3333 afterhours and on weekends.

I'm so glad I came along when I did; someone else might have driven right over it. I wouldn't have; after living and driving in Connecticut my entire life, I automatically assume that there will be an animal in my way and I'm always subconsciously looking for an animal to dart out in the road. My friend Joe commented that most people would have said "aw, that sucks" and left it. Leaving it would have never occured to me. I think that would have ruined my entire life. WAY to disturbing to not help.