The Hostess Set

Back a few months ago, Rob's mom took the two of us to a popular department store in Long Island to register. In the silverware section, we finally settled on some forks and such that were not too big for me and not too small for him. (Triumph!) The saleslady who helped us out signed us up for twelve sets and then something called the "hostess set".

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's a serving fork, knife and spoon to match your silverware." she said in her thick, Long Island accent. She narrowed her heavily eyelinered eyes at me, daring me to challenge this.

I did.

"I don't really think I'll need it." I was thinking of the millions of ways I could serve food that did not involve fancy silverware taking up the limited space in our kitchen.

"You need it" said the saleslady, and Rob's mom, in stereo. Twenty acrylic nails tapped down on the counter in triumph.

"Ok, ok." I let it stand, figuring I'd delete it off of the registry later. I'm not going to be ready to tackle TWO Long Island ladies in heavy eyeliner for a long time.

I forgot about it, though, until a week or so ago, when I saw it still there and removed it. I was happy to see no one bought it. I forgot all about it, until arrived in the mail a few days later.

"You were too late!" Rob held up the silverware.

I didn't want to return it (with my luck, I'll get the same sales lady who will tell me, "You NEED it!"), but I really don't even know what it's for. Any ideas? I know the pointy fork thing is probably for serving pot roast (because I make THAT allll the time) but I don't know what the weird shaped knife is for (butter?) or the slotted gigantic spoon. (I think we used it for green beans growing up, but my mom had three or four of them, not just one.)