Girl in the City

I'm on the train right now, writing on paper. I'll have to type this out later.

I had my big city interview today. Very exciting. Last night I went over to Rob's and whined about how nervous I was. I guess I wasn't so much nervous about the actual interview so much as what it represented: me moving on with my life. I'm so nervous. Can I actually do this?

I'll probably laugh two years from now about how dumb I was. Although, I do try not to make fun of the Ambers of the past. All of the people that were me before helped make me who I am now, and will combine with who I am now to make who I will be when I'm at my greatest. (All the Ambers that ever were and ever will be...). Make sense?

The day was mundane at best, with highlights and lowlights.

Highlights:

The mariachi band on the subway. Actually ON the 6 train! I got on it at 42nd street (Grand Central) and accidentally started going downtown instead of up. I only went down one stop before I realized, so I couldn't fiesta with them long. I was loathe to leave them; I danced around with the maraca man! (No one else did. Snobby Manhattanites).

The c. 40 year old man singing Italian opera. He was amazing, just like someone from Carnegie Hall. I imagined, coming down the steps and hearing him, a fat Italian tenor in a tuxedo... but he was just in a sweat suit with a key board. And Japanese, which took me by surprise. That's New York! I love it! I gave him a dollar.

The four college age girls and their amusing banter in the bathroom at Grand Central.
"Oh my god! I can't wait to go to Macy's. There gonna have, like, sales like woah!"
"Yeah, my mom gave me her credit card? So I'm gonna, like, buy a whole bunch of stuff? and she's gonna, like, kill me? but whatever! I deserve it!"
There was excessive lip gloss application and they all smelled like "baby prostitutes".

Peeking into the StoryCorps booth. Ever since I heard about it on NPR I've wanted to go see it. There was a mom and son having what looked like a really sweet conversation. I took a picture of the booth itself, but I really wanted to take a picture of them. I felt it would be too invasive, though. If you ever go to Grand Central, it's by track #17. Jen, I'm dragging you in there one day. For posterity, you know.

Lowlights:

The interview itself. I don't think it really went too well. I didn't like the dentist that much; he was sort of "smarmy". And the office had a bunch of snobby people in it... I'll keep looking. This is not going to be that easy, I guess. Ah well. Ever onward!