The Best and the Worst of My Day

I wanted to punch someone in the nose today.

I was at Starbucks behind the counter trying to figure out how to ring out a slightly unusual custom drink. The woman wanted decaf coffee, hot, over ice. (Whatever works!) No problem, but I wasn't sure if there was a special way to ring it up (iced coffee is more expensive than regular coffee, and she wanted regular coffee over ice...but whatever), so I started asking the other baristas, and then we were discussing it. Her husband leans over the counter, gets in my face and yells, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST RING IT UP LIKE A REGULAR DECALF?! THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME!" He stormed off to get sugar.

I can deal with crabby people in the dental office. You're in a dental office. You're probably nervous and/or in pain. If you're a pill to me, I can let it slide. Out for a latte with your wife? Save the drama for yo' mama! It's Starbucks. It's coffee. Chill.

He came back and I looked him square in the eye and said "I'm new. I didn't want to over charge you. I'm trying to do my job well. You don't need to yell at me." I said it firmly, but really politely.

Crickets. Patrons, other folks in line, my coworkers: dead silent. I finished my spiel with my best pissy look (and trust me, it's pretty good!)

He huffed off, and his wife apologized and slinked after him. The other baristas gave me "mad props" for sticking up for myself. I felt good about speaking up and still being polite (even though "you mother-loving cocksucker!" was totally on the tip of my tongue). But I really wanted to punch him in the nose.

********

Best part of the day: one regular, Joe, came in while us folks behind the bar were discussing Broadway.

"You know," he told us, "I used to sing."

"Oh?" I said.

"Yeah, in Carnige hall!"

We were all very impressed, until he grinned and said "All the time, while I was sweeping the floors!"

We laughed, and he winked at me and Cami. We went to girly pieces, proving "The Wink" works from guys at any age.